Bean and Tomato Hot Pot
A meal in itself. Serves 6.
2 Tbsp oil
1 med. sized can of savoury tomatoes
2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups cold water or stock
3 carrots, sliced
1 Tbsp marmite/flaky yeast
2 sticks celery, chopped
sea salt/kelp/ seasoning
1 large leek, sliced
4 large potatoes, scrubbed & thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 cups of vegetables in season e.g.cauliflower, broccoli, peas
1 cup cooked beans of your choice e.g.kidney beans/ haricot beans/ black-eyed/pinto beans or pink beans
3 tsps butter
- Saute onions in oil for several minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, leek, garlic, and vegetables in season and stir fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked one cup of beans, tomatoes, water, marmite and seasoning to onion mixture. Mix well.
- Put into casserole dish. Arrange the thinly sliced potatoes neatly on top.
- Dot with butter, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours at 180°F.
- Remove the lid 30 minutes before the end of cooking to allow the potatoes to brown.