By Marina Lathouraki
Serves 4 as a main and 6 as a side.
1 med eggplant or similar, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 small to medium zucchini, sliced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 large brown onion, diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely or crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can Watties hot chilli beans or can red kidney beans
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 to 2 tablespoons oreganum
½ cup hot water
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chili powder or small fresh red chili
Salt and pepper to taste
Natural Mexicano corn chips
1. In a large frypan saute onion in oil until clear, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
2. Add diced capsicum and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add eggplant and zucchini and brown for a few minutes, then add chilli beans, diced tomatoes, oreganum, cumin, chili and the hot water.
4. Put lid on frypan and simmer until eggplant is cooked – 20 mins to half an hour. Add more spices and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve on heated corn chips or with rice for a healthier option.