Brown Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 C brown lentils
- 1 Tbsp savoury/ flaky yeast or marmite
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 x 400g can savoury tomatoes
- 2 tsp Green herb stock (Maggi)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp kelp granules (optional)
- Place uncooked lentils in a large saucepan.
- Wash by covering with water, stir, then drain.
- Cover with approx 4 cups cold water, add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Put lid on saucepan, bring liquid to boil, turn heat down, remove lid and simmer 20 mins.
- Add all the remaining ingredients plus 2 more cups of hot water and cook over medium heat approximately 45 minutes or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Stir from time to time. If you would prefer to use a pressure cooker, put all the ingredients into it, bring up to pressure, and cook 5 minutes in total.
Depending on desired texture of the soup, serve as is, or blend part or all of the soup. Serve with wholemeal toast, olive bread or hot rolls.