Roast Beetroot, Feta and Lentil Salad
This recipe was seen on the Breakfast Show with Annabelle White and looked so good, we couldn’t resist sharing it.
This salad is full of protein and fibre and so healthy and good for you but best of all so good to eat.
- 2 cups organic brown lentils
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs freshly chopped root ginger
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 8 Tbs spiced vinegar
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 250g bean sprouts
- 450g roasted baby beets, then chop
- 250g Puhoi garlic & cumin feta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Cook lentils in boiling water for 40mins or until just tender.
- Drain and place in a bowl to cool.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil for 5mins until clear – keep the heat low you don’t want colour.
- Add ginger, spices and curry powder.
- Cook for 1 minute or until the spices smell fragrant.
- Stir in the vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over lentils, stir and leave to cool.
- Add spring onions, celery, sprouts, beetroot, feta and coriander to lentils, mix gently then serve.
To roast beetroot just wash beets and cut most of the greens off and place in baking dish with a little water in a moderate oven till soft. Allow 35 mins. Adding orange zest or a little orange juice helps the beets sing with flavour.
The advantage of “cooking the spices” for the dressing intensifies the flavour.
Adding a hot oil like this to lentils or even drizzling your favourite mint dressing over hot potatoes makes for a far better result.
This salad is designed to be served warm or room temperature not hot – same with the potato salad.