Vegetable & Hazelnut Loaf
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil, + extra for oiling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 200 ml strained canned tomatoes
- 115 g fresh wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 2 carrots, grated
- 115 g toasted hazelnuts, ground
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 egg equivalent, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- mixed red and green lettuce leaves, to serve
- Oil and line a 450 g loaf pan.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and celery and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the strained canned tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Put the breadcrumbs, carrots, ground hazelnuts, soy sauce and coriander in a bowl.
- Add the tomato mixture and stir well.
- Cool slightly, then beat in the egg equivalent and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 180* C preheated oven for 1 hour.
- If serving hot, turn the loaf out on to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately with salad leaves. Alternatively, cool the loaf in the pan before turning out.