- 375 g soya mince/TVP mince (dried)
- 2 -3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 large leek
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 medium kumara or half a swede
- 1 pottle tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- olive oil
- Peel and cut potatoes and kumara/swede and boil together until cooked.
- Chop carrots into very small cubes and steam over the other root vegetables.
- Fry chopped onions, leek and garlic in oil.
- Make stock: dissolve stock cube in 1 cup boiling water. Add tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Add the soya mince and stock to the frying pan, and add the cooked carrots. Add more water if required (larger amount will be required if using dried soya mince/TVP).
- Place in an oiled casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and mash the potatoes and kumara with a dab of margarine and some soya milk. Season.
- Put the mashed potato mix on top of the mince mix* and cook approx 200 for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with lots of broccoli or other greens.
* This dish can be made with alternative proteins: a can of lentils, kidney beans, a block of tofu or brown lentils.
Original recipe from So, What Do You Eat by Liz Cook
This book is available from our bookshop.