Baked Summer Vegetables
- 3 cups courgettes, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cobs corn- cut corn from the cobs
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese*
- 3/4 cup wholegrain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup wheatgerm
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter/margarine
- 3 oz cheese, cut in thin strips (optional could be replaced with a breadcrumb mixture or alternative topping)
- Place courgettes in a colander. Toss with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for approximately 15 minutes to extract liquid. Press to extract moisture then pat dry with a paper towel.
- While the courgettes are standing, mix the cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, wheatgerm, basil, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- GreaseÂ a shallow oven-proof dish and cover the bottom with the courgettes.
- Top with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Cover with corn, then the remaining cottage cheese mixture and top with the sliced tomatoes.
- Dot with margarine and arrange the cheese strips lattice fashion over top.
- Bake 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Let cool for ten minutes before serving- it is even better lukewarm than hot straight from the oven.
* Remember to check for rennet-free cottage cheese