Chunky Ratatouille Sauce
This sauce is delicious when served over pasta shells, brown rice, or your favourite grain.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine, divided
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water, divided
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tin tomato-based pasta sauce, such as Watties Chunky Arabbiata, or any tin of flavoured tomatoes such as Mexican or Cajun flavours, combined with some tomato paste for depth of flavour
- Soak eggplant chunks in salted water for 10 minutes.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again. Braise onion, celery, and garlic in 1/4 cup wine.
- When vegetables are soft, add eggplant and 1/4 cup water.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary to keep mixture from drying out.
- Add mushrooms, Italian seasonings, thyme, black pepper, remaining 1/4 cup wine, and tomatoes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
Recipe adapted from PCRM’s recipe suggestions