Fresh Noodle and Vegetable Rolls
- 80 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 medium carrot, grated coarsely
- 1 medium cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, whole
- 12 x 22 cm rice paper wrappers
Optional – Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 chili, halved and sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
- Soak noodles in boiling water in a large heatproof bowl for 5 minutes; stir to separate strands, then drain.
- Using scissors, cut noodles into shorter lengths.
- Place noodles in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dipping sauce.
- Add vegetables and herbs; toss to combine.
- To assemble rolls: place 1 sheet of rice paper in a medium bowl of warm water until just softened.
- Lift sheet from water carefully; place on a board covered with a clean tea towel.
- Place 1/3 cup of mixture across lower part of the wrapper, in a neat horizontal pile.
- Fold bottom end over, then sides, and roll up tightly.
- Place on a platter. Repeat with remaining rice paper sheets and vegetable filling.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves. Add chili; bring to the oil.
- Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce into a heatproof bowl; cool.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
Recipe courtesy of Sanitarium’s ‘Recipe of the Week’ programme