Baked Summer Vegetables
3 cups courgettes, sliced
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 cobs corn- cut corn from the cobs
3 tomatoes, sliced
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese*
3/4 cup wholegrain bread crumbs
1/4 cup wheatgerm
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons butter/margarine
3 oz cheese, cut in thin strips (optional could be replaced with a breadcrumb mixture or alternative topping)
* Remember to check for rennet-free cottage cheese
- While the courgettes are standing, mix the cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, wheatgerm, basil, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Grease a shallow oven-proof dish and cover the bottom with the courgettes.
- Top with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Cover with corn, then the remaining cottage cheese mixture and top with the sliced tomatoes.
- Dot with margarine and arrange the cheese strips lattice fashion over top.
- Bake 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Let cool for ten minutes before serving - it is even better lukewarm than hot straight from the oven.