Bulghur Wheat and Quinoa Pilaf
This is a tasty side dish for any meal. Bulgur is a wheat-based staple of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Quinoa and bulgur have higher protein and fiber content than rice.
1 cup dry bulghur wheat
1 cup dry quinoa
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary or dried thyme or oregano
salt, to taste
- Place bulghur and quinoa in a dry heavy skillet (such as cast-iron), stir-fry pan, or wok over high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the grain smells toasty.
- Remove from heat immediately and set aside.
- Steam-fry onion and celery in a large saucepan with a tight lid until onion begins to soften using a small amount of water.
- Add broth, bulghur, quinoa, parsley, and rosemary, thyme, or oregano.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season with salt.