Tempeh Cottage Pie
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium kumara
1 large tomato
1 cup water
1/2 cup peas
1 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and black pepper
6 medium size potatoes
2 tablespoons margarine/butter
1/2 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons yeast flakes
- Topping: Boil the potatoes in salted water, then mash with margarine/butter and soy milk, adding more milk if necessary for the consistency of your choice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the tempeh and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Dice the carrot and kumara, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomato and cook for 1 minute, then add water, peas, corn and tomato sauce and stir.
- Bring mixture to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until the liquid reduces and the mixture is thick but not dry. Season to taste.
- Place the mixture in an oven proof dish and allow to cool.
- Spread the mashed potato on top, and sprinkle yeast flakes over.
- Bake at 180* for 25 minutes (or until browned).