Brown Lentil Soup
Depending on desired texture of the soup, serve as is, or blend part or all of the soup. Serve with wholemeal toast, olive bread or hot rolls (or gluten free bread).
1 can of savoury brown lentils
1 tablespoon savoury flaky yeast or marmite
2 medium carrots, grated
1 x 400g can savoury tomatoes
2 teaspoon vegetable stock
1 clove garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon kelp granules (optional)
- Place uncooked lentils in a large saucepan.
- Wash by covering with water, stir, then drain.
- Cover with approx 4 cups cold water, add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Put lid on saucepan, bring liquid to boil, turn heat down, remove lid and simmer 20 mins.
- Add all the remaining ingredients plus 2 more cups of hot water and cook over medium heat approximately 45 minutes or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Stir from time to time. If you would prefer to use a pressure cooker, put all the ingredients into it, bring up to pressure, and cook 5 minutes in total.