Tofu Vegetable Hash
From Turn Off the Fat Genes by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond M.S., R.D.
This recipe from PCRM’s website.
2 russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 pound firm reduced-fat tofu, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup water, divided
2 tomatoes, diced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 heads baby bok choy, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Steam potatoes until they are just tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet, then add onion and mushrooms.
- Cook over high heat, stirring often, until onion is golden and mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add tofu, basil, and 1/4 cup water.
- Cook 3 minutes over high heat, stirring often and adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes, broccoli, bok choy, soy sauce, black pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup water.
- Stir gently to mix, then cover and cook until broccoli is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 one-cup serving and can be refrigerated and used each morning.