Vegan Risotto With Saffron and Porcini Mushrooms
By Alessandra Zecchini
Alessandra Zecchini has supported the NZ Vegetarian Society by regularly appearing at the Auckland Festival and is always popular for her lively and entertaining presentations.
Tips and Variations:
Vegetarians can add a little butter or grated vegetarian cheese at the end.
2 tablespoon dried porcini mushrooms
1 small onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
400g Arborio rice (short grain rice)
1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 50 ml warm water.
- Slice the onion and sauté with the olive oil until translucent in colour.
- Add the rice and stir.
- When the rice is hot add the mushrooms and their water.
- Add the stock little by little, always stirring.
- When the rice is al dente, (15-20 minutes) add the saffron and stir well.
- If the rice is not cooked yet, add a little hot water.
- Serve immediately.