"This makes a pretty pink risotto and is a great one-pot meal for a weeknight when time is tight. It is definitely one of my ‘go to’ meals and is super versatile flavor-wise. Grating the beetroot and pumpkin makes them melt into the dish while cooking and the pumpkin gives a lovely creamy quality to the risotto. Constant stirring is the key to achieving a really creamy risotto also, as it releases the starch from the rice."
Our thanks to Anna Valentine for sharing this recipe! Click here for more delicious recipes.
Refer to next section for ingredients.
1. Gather your ingredients. Prepare the following vegetables:
- 2 shallots or 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stick celery,
- 1 small stick fresh rosemary, leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ pumpkin, skin and seeds removed, grated
- 2 beetroot, scrubbed and grated
- ¼ cup olives, pitted
2. Put a large pot on the heat and add:
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (or ¼ c for dairy-free version)
- 2 Tbs butter
3. Melt the butter. Add the prepared shallot, garlic, celery and rosemary. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add:
- 1½ cup (300g) risotto rice (arborio)
4. Continue to fry until the grains are coated and toasted. Add:
- 100ml Marsala or sweet white wine or lemon juice with a pinch of sugar
5. Stir through, then add the grated pumpkin and beetroot. Next make some stock:
- 1.2L hot water, whey or liquid vegetable stock (omit powder if using)
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
6. In another pot, stir the bouillon into the hot water or whey to make stock. Add the stock to the rice half a cup at a time, constantly stirring. Add the pitted olives towards the end of cooking.
7. Test your rice is done; it should be just cooked with a little bite. Add the chopped celery leaves and:
- ½ cup tasty cheese or vegan alternative, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese or a plant-based alternative, grated (save some for serving)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
7. Stir through and serve with a beetroot tops and rocket salad drizzled with balsamic reduction, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.