You can make this recipe with dates, prunes or cranberries. If you have nut allergies in the family you can substitute the cashew nuts for seeds like sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Keep in fridge to avoid stickiness.
- 2 cups dates
- 2/3 cup cashews (generous serving advised)
- Coconut to roll
- 1/4 cup coconut + extra coconut for dipping
- 2 – 3 Tbs cocoa
- 2/3 cup roasted oats (if too sweet)
- Grind cashews and set aside.
- Pulse/process the dates in a food processor until they are pulpy and mushy (if you don’t have a good food processor, slightly steam dates and mash by hand).
- Give the food processor a rest, then add cashews and optional extras (more/less to taste) until well mixed.
- Scoop teaspoons full and roll into balls.
- Roll in coconut until well covered (i.e. no longer sticky).