Bulghur Wheat and Quinoa Pilaf
This is a tasty side dish for any meal. Bulghur is a wheat-based staple of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Quinoa and bulghur wheat have higher protein and fibre content than rice.
- 1 cup dry bulghur wheat
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp crushed dried rosemary or dried thyme or oregano
- Several diced olives (optional)
- 2 tomatoes chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Place bulghur and quinoa in a dry heavy skillet (such as cast-iron), stir-fry pan, or wok over high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the grain smells toasty.
- Remove from heat immediately and set aside.
- Steam-fry onion and celery using a small amount of water in a large saucepan with a tight lid until onion begins to soften.
- Add broth, bulghur, quinoa, parsley, and rosemary, thyme, or oregano.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Add optional extras. Fluff with a fork and season with salt.