Cold and Flu Tonic
This tonic helps fight off the germs whilst building a healthy immune system.
The addition of ginger, turmeric, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, rosemary, oregano, thyme, kawakawa, kumarahou and pine gives a wide range of soothing properties for colds and flu symptoms, and respiratory aliments.
Refer to the next section for the ingredients.
1.) Gather your ingredients and prepare the following in a large pot:
- 1 kg elderberries, black currants or blueberries
- 500g grapes (optional)
- 4 lemons, sliced
- 4 oranges, sliced
- 8 cm fresh ginger, sliced
- 8 cm fresh turmeric, sliced
- 2 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 large stick rosemary
- 2-3 sticks fresh oregano or 1 Tbs dried
- 6 sticks fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- a handful of pine needles (optional)
- 6-8 kawakawa leaves (optional)
- 6-8 kumarahou leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 L water
2.) Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the tonic through a sieve into another pot and push to remove all the liquid you can. Reheat if needed and stir through the honey until melted:
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup manuka or kanuka honey or agave syrup
- 20 drops echinacea or usnea tincture
3.) Pour into warm sterilised bottles and cap. Once opened store in the fridge.
Dosage, shake before use:
- 1 tsp children
- 1 Tbsp adults
As often as required when symptoms present.