Great SUMMER cold soup. Refreshing, cool and tasty, easy to make, yet look and taste sophisticated. When tomatoes are in season, cheap, and in their prime, it is the right time for Gazpacho! It is one of those dishes that makes you happy when you open the fridge and see this red yummy heaven in front of your eyes.
- 2.5 kg ripe red tomatoes. A mix of different kinds recommended
- 1L tomato juice
- 5-7 garlic cloves
- 2 M-L red onions
- 5-7 Tbs olive oil
- 3-4 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper - to taste
- Optional - a few drops of Tabasco, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes without the core and the onions into a 4L pot (for convenience)
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Blend with a stick until smooth
- Taste and add spices if needed
- Cool in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours. On the day after it will taste even better.
- Serve with basil, croutons, a few drops of olive oil, finely chopped cucumber... and even a bit of vodka if you'd like.