Scotish – Girdle Scones
Vegetarianism is growing rapidly in New Zealand, but other parts of the world have had meat-free cuisines for centuries. For a rich and varied plant-based diet, talk to Chinese, Indians, Mexicans… Our wonderful volunteers have shared authentic recipes from around the world. Most of these recipes were traditionally vegan, but some were meat-based recipes that have been ‘veganised’. We have collected 31 recipes from 31 different countries to share with you – one for each day of October, World Vegetarian Month.
Thanks to Caroline Jack for this lovely Scottish recipe.
Serve with jam. Enjoy!
- 250 g Flour
- 1 tsp baking Powder
- ½ tsp baking Soda
- 30g margarine plus a bit
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- Plant milk
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl.
- Rub in margarine.
- Add syrup and milk.
- Mix to soft consistency, turn out onto floured surface.
- Roll gently about 2 cm thick.
- Cut into rounds.
- Grease the girdle or the frying pan and heat (should be hot).
- Lift onto pan- turn once, brown on both sides.