Singaporean - Eggplant Stir-fry
Vegetarianism is growing rapidly in New Zealand, but other parts of the world have had meat-free cuisines for centuries. For a rich and varied plant-based diet, talk to Chinese, Indians, Mexicans… Our wonderful volunteers have shared authentic recipes from around the world. Most of these recipes were traditionally vegan, but some were meat-based recipes that have been ‘veganised’. We have collected 31 recipes from 31 different countries to share with you – one for each day of October, World Vegetarian Month.
Here is one from Singapore.
Thanks to Sarah Lin for this recipe!
- 5-6 long thin Asian eggplants or say about 700g worth
- 3 Tbs of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 20ml water
- 2 Tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 birds eye chilli
- Dried fried garlic as garnish
- Chop the eggplant into large diagonal pieces
- Simmer the eggplant with olive oil or vegetable oil with a bit of water for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the eggplant softens add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and white pepper. Once the eggplant has simmered for another 2-3minutes, dish the eggplant out to plate.
- Quickly fry up the chopped garlic and chilli with 2 tablespoons of hot oil, and once it’s slightly golden place garlic and chilli on top, add fried garlic as garnish and serve hot.