Vegan Date Scones
A classic recipe.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 dessert spoons of sugar
- ¾ cup plant-based milk mixed with slightly under ¼ cup lightly flavored oil (don’t quite allow the mix of
- Milk and oil to come up to the one-cup line)
- ½ cup chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Sift dry ingredients then whisk together to mix.
- Add chopped dates (use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut them up. It is much faster this way).
- Mix the dates in, again using the whisk (the whisking adds lightness to the scones).
- Stir first then add the milk and oil mixture (Vitasoy is creamy enough to use half and half with water).
- Mix until the ingredients are just combined—over mixing them will make the scones tough. After a little bit of stirring, pick up the slightly sticky dough (add a little more flour if it is too sticky) and gently turn it in on itself a few times to finish the combining and tidy up all the bits.
- Place dough on a floured baking tray and gently pat down until it is about 1.5 centimetres thick. Cut into scones and bake in a hot oven (approx 200ºC) for around 12 minutes (or until they are turning a light golden brown).
- Lay a clean tea towel on a cooling rack, on which you place your scones to cool, then fold tea towel over to cover.