Best Brownies – Being vegan doesn’t mean a life without brownies!
You will need to allow an extra 30 minutes for cooling before eating the brownies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-dairy semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, place rack in the middle; coat an 20cm square baking dish with vegetable oil; set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and combine.
- Place the applesauce, maple syrup, plant based milk, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to combine;
- Add the flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not over mix)
- Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 mins or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean
- Place the dish on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If not serving right away, cool completely, cover tightly, and store at room temperature; these brownies taste best if eaten within a day or two.