Chunky Vegetable Soup with Barley & Quinoa
This soup is mighty hearty – you will go back for more. It is a great recipe for using up all the little bits in your vegetable drawer. You’ll need to prepare the sprouted lentils in advance. Soak dried lentils, green or brown, overnight covered in water. Drain it off in the morning through a sieve. Cover the sieve with a tea towel and rinse the beans again at night then again in the morning until little tails sprout out. They are now ready to use.
The barley requires soaking for up to 6 hours beforehand.
Refer to next section for ingredients.
Soak the barley for up to 6 hours before if possible.
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 150ml water
Prepare the following vegetables:
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ leek, halved and sliced
- 2 mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 parsnip, thinly sliced
- 1 potato, cut into small cubes
Put a large pot on the heat and add:
- ¼ cup olive oil
Next, add your prepared vegetables, except for the potato, and fry for 1 minute. Drain your soaked barley. Add the prepared potato to the pot, then add:
- 1 x 400g can tomatoes
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 litre water + soaked barley
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
Slowly simmer the soup with a lid on for 15 minutes. Now add:
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup wholemeal spaghetti, broken into pieces
Cook for another 10 minutes, then season with:
- 1 tsp salt
- A good few cracks of pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves removed and finely chopped
Stir through and remove the pot from the heat. Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with:
- ½ cup sprouted brown lentils
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, per person
- 1 Tbs grated parmesan (try Angel Food’s dairy-free parmesan) per person serve.