Lemongrass & Mushroom Broth with Aduki Bean Noodles
Refer to next section for ingredients.
Gather your ingredients. Prepare the following vegetables:
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced, diagonally
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ broccoli, cut into florets
- 10 snow peas, cut on the diagonal
Put a wok or large deep frying pan or pot on a high heat and add:
- 2 Tbs rice bran oil
- 1 Tbs peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
When the oil is smoking, add the prepared shallot, mushrooms and celery. Fry these for a minute, stirring to prevent burning. Now add the sliced garlic, plus
- 2 Tbs mirin
Stir through and add:
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, dissolved in 2 L water
- 1 Tbs sweet soy sauce
- 50ml soy sauce
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, finely grated on the microplane
- 2 sticks lemongrass, bruised with a knife.
Bring the broth to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
To prepare the noodles:
- 200g aduki or edamame bean noodles (I use Explore Asian Authentic Cuisine)
Bring 2 L water to the boil, then add noodles and cook for 6–8 minutes, moving occasionally with a fork. Drain, then rinse with cold water to prevent noodles sticking together. Then toss through:
- 1 Tbs rice bran oil
Remove the lemongrass from the broth and add the broccoli and snow peas along with:
- 50g onion flowers or 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs dried karengo seawee
Turn off the heat. To serve, add a nest of noodles to each serving bowl, then spoon over the broth.