Nepalese Vegetable Curry
Kiwi Kitchen screened a Cooking Demonstration by our Wellington Branch member Nicky Owers. Adapted from Fresh and Natural: Vegetarian Dishes for New Zealanders.
- 4 Tbs oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, broken
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 capsicums, chopped
- 1 chili or chili powder (to taste)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 5 cm piece of root ginger, chopped (or grated whilst frozen)
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Roughly 500 g of potatoes or a mixture of potatoes and other vegetables
- ½ cauliflower, cut into florets (or a substitute vegetable)
- 1-2 cups peas
- 2 Tbs ground coriander
- 6 spring onions (opt.)
- 1 Tbs cumin
- Heat oil in fry pan and fry onion until golden brown. Add bay leaf, black pepper, capsicum, chili, garlic, ginger, salt, and turmeric.
- Stir in potatoes and fry briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients and approximately ¾ cup of hot water.
- Cook gently until vegetables are tender (add peas last) and most of the moisture is absorbed. Serve on some nice, chewy, nutty brown rice.