Orange, Almond and Hazelnut Cake
"This is like a pudding cake – dense, moist and absolutely delicious. It also happens to be one of my all-time favourite cakes! A mini food processor is the best way to achieve a nice fine-breadcrumb texture for the hazelnuts."
Refer to next section for ingredients.
1. Add to a large pot:
- 2 oranges
- Enough water to cover completely.
2. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for approximately one hour, until the oranges are soft.
3. Drain (reserve ¼ cup of the water if you are making the egg-free version) and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 26cm cake tin.
5. Pull the oranges apart and remove any pips. Put the oranges in a food processor and blitz until very smooth.
6. Measure the following into a large bowl:
- 250g unrefined sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed mixed with ¼ cup orange cooking water and leave to absorb for 10 minutes
- ½ cup brown rice flour
7. Whisk together well. Add the orange purée and:
- 2 cups ground almonds
- ½ cup hazelnuts, ground in the food processor until the fine-breadcrumb texture
- 2 Tbs baking powder
8. Using a whisk, mix everything together well then scrape into the prepared tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes; the cake is ready when you test it with a skewer and it comes out clean.
9. Cool in the can for 10 minutes, then take the cake out of the can and cool completely on a rack.