Panamanian – “Ensalada de Papas” Potato Salad
Vegetarianism is growing rapidly in New Zealand, but other parts of the world have had meat-free cuisines for centuries. For a rich and varied plant-based diet, talk to Chinese, Indians, Mexicans… Our wonderful volunteers have shared authentic recipes from around the world. Most of these recipes were traditionally vegan, but some were meat-based recipes that have been ‘veganised’. We have collected 31 recipes from 31 different countries to share with you – one for each day of October, World Vegetarian Month.
This recipe is from Panama, thanks Julia.
- 4 large nadine potatoes, diced
- 1 beetroot, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Boil the diced potatoes.
- When potatoes are half cooked, add diced carrot and beetroot and cook until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix together the parsley, onion, garlic, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Add the cooked potato, carrots and beetroot.
- Mix everything together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.