Rayaan's Split Green Lentils
A delicious split green lentil curry. Created by the 2021 Think Kind Competition winner Rayaan. Watch his video on how it's made here:
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- Chilli and salt as per taste
- 1.5 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/8 tsp hing
- Mixed colourful veggies; lettuce, capsicum etc.
- 1 cup white rice with 2 cups water
- Add lentils to a bowl, rinse and drain. Leave to soak in water for 15 minutes. Do the same for the rice.
- Pressure cook lentils for 1 whistle or 15 minutes if using induction as base and pot will be hot even after off. You can also cook in a saucepot. It will just require ¾ to 1 cup of more water and more time. Keep adding hot water as they cook. Start cooking rice in the meantime.
- Let the pressure cooker cool down. Open it up and check the consistency. Add boiled water if required. saute the spices in a pan, add oil if necessary. Stir the spices in the lentils with salt.
- Add the chopped vegetables for crunchiness, fiber, and colour.
- Serve with white rice.
- Avoid over-soaking and overcooking the lentils to stop them from becoming sticky
- Lentils become thicker and lumpy after cooling. Simply add a small amount of boiling water.