Russian - Buckwheat with Mushrooms
Vegetarianism is growing rapidly in New Zealand, but other parts of the world have had meat-free cuisines for centuries. For a rich and varied plant-based diet, talk to Chinese, Indians, Mexicans… Our wonderful volunteers have shared authentic recipes from around the world. Most of these recipes were traditionally vegan, but some were meat-based recipes that have been ‘veganised’. We have collected 31 recipes from 31 different countries to share with you – one for each day of October, World Vegetarian Month.
Thanks to Liuba Beliaeva for the recipe & photo.
- 1 cup whole kernel brown buckwheat
- 1 Tbs olive oil or other oil
- 3 cups cold water
- 3-4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium capsicum
- 1 Tbs grounded cumin
- 1 tsp grounded coriander
- 1/2 grounded paprika
- Fresh parsley or coriander as a garnish
- Salt and black paper
- Chop mushrooms, capsicum, carrots and finely dice onion.
- Rinse the buckwheat (get rid of that dust) and drain well.
- Boil buckwheat for around 10 min in a pot until kernels are soft and fluffy.
- At the same time, heat a pan fryer or a large skillet. Once it’s hot, add 1 tbs oil of your choice. Add onions and cook for 2-3 min stirring occasionally. Then add mushrooms, carrots, capsicum. Continue to sauté until carrots are soft.
- Add spices, salt and pepper.
- Mix boiled buckwheat with vegetables, stir properly. and add some fresh parsley or coriander to garnish.