Vegan Herb & Garlic Cashew Cheese
This mouth-watering, 100% plant-based cheese recipe is a must try for every cheese lover. The recipe is from our Home Tried Favourites Recipe book.
- ½ cup cashews
- 3 tsp fresh herbs e.g. basil, oregano, thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ½ garlic clove
- 3 Tbs savoury yeast
- 1 Tbs lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup water, divided in two
- 1½ tsp agar agar powder
- oil, to brush the ramekin
- Soak cashews for 1 hour in hot water.
- If using herbs, finely chop basil, oregano and thyme. You can either add these herbs with the other ingredients in the next step (it will give your cheese a green tint), or wait until step 6.
- Drain cashews and place in a blender along with garlic, salt, cornflour, savoury yeast, lemon juice, maple syrup and ½ cup water.
- Process for 1 minute and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine ½ cup water and agar agar powder. Add cashew cream and bring to the boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chopped herbs (if not already done) and mix.
- Pour into lightly-oiled ramekins (or whatever container shape you want the cheese to take) and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Remove by turning upside down onto a board.
- Garnish with some fresh herbs