Shortbread Cookies and Creamy Hemp Milk
Photography by Fay McCormick, HempNZ™
Shortbread used to be a luxury and only served on special occasions like Christmas. Not so much these days! We think, however, that this recipe is the perfect midnight snack to leave out for Santa. (Along with a glass of creamy plant-based hemp milk of course!) We've given a simple shortbread recipe a bit of a twist with the addition of dried cranberries and vegan-certified Kiwi Hemp Hearts.
- 230 g Salted butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Caster sugar
- 95 g Corn flour
- ½ cup Hemp seeds
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a large baking tray.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, caster sugar, vanilla essence, and salt until pale in colour (can be done by hand or in an electric mixer).
- Mix flour and corn flour in a separate medium bowl, then sieve into butter mixture. Add hemp seeds, and chopped cranberries, and mix quickly and thoroughly to bring all ingredients together – but don't over-mix as you risk warming the shortbread mixture, which will result in a poor crumb.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently and quickly to form a loose dough. Place dough between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and roll out to 1cm thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters then transfer to a baking tray.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently and quickly to form a loose dough. Place dough between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and roll out to desired thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters or alternatively, divide the mixture into two, roll into a couple of log shapes, wrap in baking paper, and pop into the fridge to cool for an hour. Slice and place on greased or lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 150°C then turn the oven down to 130°C and continue baking for 10-15 minutes or until pale and crisp.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.